Thursday, February 4, 2010

Satisfaction? Anyone?



One of Hollywood’s most dazzling women, Eva Longoria. “Hottie?” or a “nottie?” Well, I’m not going to try to sound deep and say, “Looks don’t count, beauty comes from within, she doesn’t need to have the looks, no one looks good without makeup… etc.” Though that is true in some ways, it isn’t true in others. Or is media just affecting me so much, that I’m thinking that? HOLD ON… let’s take a closer look.

All means of media and communication have broadened my eyes to see that all those striking stars we see in magazines, TV channels and tabloids (not that I follow them too much) are truly drop dead gorgeous. But are they really? Media has been showing us what the “just what the doctor ordered” woman should look like. That sets the bar higher for people to expect such an image. For example, being a 16 year old young lady, I am directly affected by TV. Why? Well, I like to have it on in my room in the background. Sometimes, I flip the channels to find something attention-grabbing. What’s more interesting to a girl like me than make up, hair and all areas pertaining to beauty? I’ll watch those channels (such as E!) and think to myself “Wow, if I don’t look like that, am I not going to be looked up to?” then I stop for a few seconds and force myself to think “Looks aren’t everything. You’ll look good if you carry yourself with confidence and delight.”
Recently, I’ve seen through ads that many companies are trying to build up self-esteem. MEDIA MEDIA MEDIA!! What better way to make girls believe that beauty is from within unless it was in this huge campaign? The campaign that really caught my eye is the one from Dove ®. Its known as, ‘The Campaign for Real Beauty’.
http://www.dove.us/

They have also had a few videos done for this campaign that have been broadcasted around the world, including Kuwait.





What a motivating way to reach out to girls and women around the world and slap them in the face to make them say “What was I thinking? I AM beautiful”. Because truly, if you abandon all those tabloids (and shed a few layer of foundation, bronzer and whatnot)… you won’t have an image to live up to. Yes, we would all love that (I know I would).

3 comments:

  1. Another awesome blog!!! Can't wait for the next one ;*
    - Rahaf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genuine beauty is altered into artificial beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. r: thank you:)
    m: yes it is..

    ReplyDelete